This is it people. Today is my 30th birthday! I just can’t believe I am actually a 30 year old woman. Wow.
I’ve done a lot in my thirty years on this earth. I have graduated from two colleges. I have fallen in love. I have fallen out of love. I have gotten engaged and subsequently cancelled said engagement. I have moved away from home three times. I have made new friends and said goodbye to old friends. But, despite all the many things I have done and possibly regretted, I look forward to the next thirty years on this earth, if I am so blessed to have them.
People seem to like making lists of things that they’ve learned when they turn certain milestones (20, 30, 40, etc.). So, I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon and give you
thirty ten things that I have learned over the years. Most of this is common sense, but, you know.
1. Never be afraid to say what is on your mind. Be tactful, but always be honest.
2. Embrace your faults. They make you who you are. Fix what you can/want to fix and fuck the rest.
3. Eating healthy can be fun and tasty. It can also be bland and boring. I prefer the former.
4. Wasting time in a dysfunctional/crappy/unfulfilling relationship is not worth it. Being alone is not the end all, be all.
4b./5. I’d rather wake up alone and content, then wake up in a relationship and unhappy or unsatisfied.
6. Being a single black woman does not make me a statistic. It makes me a single black woman who doesn’t have time for your bullshit theories on why I’m single.
7. I’m a feminist who is also a Christian. I may personally be pro-life, but I will always vote pro-choice to protect the right for you to make that choice.
8. Enjoy where you are in life. I love living alone. But I do look forward to learning to live with someone I love.
9. Don’t waste your time worrying about what others think of you. Seriously. Don’t.
10. Don’t be afraid to fail or fall flat on your face. Life is all about falling. But, it’s also all about getting back up.