Every year it seems there is another “holiday” that someone thought up in order to make you spend more money. I mean, I understand the need to bring awareness to different things, but do we really need a holiday for every profession out there? In October alone there is Techies Day, Custodial Workers Day, Physician Assistant Day, Emergency Nurses Day, Boss’s Day, International Newspaper Carrier Day, TV Talk Show Host Day, and Mother-in-Law Day. I mean, for the love of Pete and Pete! Is this all really necessary? And what in the hell do you give on these days? Is there a card for each one of these holidays? Have I just not been paying attention to the greeting card section in Target, or is there really a section of cards for International Newspaper Carrier Day? I would honestly be shocked if I saw ONE card International Newspaper Carrier Day. I imagine there would be a picture of a dog sitting on the front steps of a house, with the paper in its mouth and the heading would read:
I guess the dog really did eat the paper! No hard feelings?
Happy International Newspaper Carrier Day!
It’s pretty sad that we have to make up holidays for professions in order for people to show appreciation. How about just not being a dick to the newspaper carrier? Is it really that difficult? I mean, everyone has had a job at some point in their lives where they were undervalued and unappreciated. We should all be able to look back on those days and try to be more thoughtful of people as they come in and out of our lives. That being said, let’s talk about Boss’s Day.
Wednesday, October 16th, is Boss’s Day and I am here to give you some traditional and affordable gift ideas, as well as some non-traditional and still affordable gift ideas. I am not a fan of spending a lot of money on gifts like these because the amount of money you spend is not the point. The point is to show your appreciation for said boss and to hope that the thoughtful gift will be remembered when raises and bonuses roll around.
Now, if you want to be generic and boring, you could give your boss a gift card to Target/Walmart/Marshall’s/T.J. Maxx/Homegoods. But, why would you want to be boring and generic? Plus, when you give a gift card you have to tell them how much the gift card is worth and then you get to stress about whether or not you put enough money on the gift card. I don’t know about you, but stress sucks. A lot. So, let’s get started and make this Boss’s Day a lot less stressful and a lot more awesome.
Traditional Boss Gifts Under $30 (stick to off price retailers like T.J. Maxx and Marshall’s)
For A Female Boss:
- Candle & Room Spray- Only get this if you know she’ll like the scent
- Memory Box- These can be placed on a desk or bookcase or shelf and are great for hiding things
- Stationary Set- Something simple and elegant that perhaps has her initials or a flower she loves on it.
- Thank You Cards – Similar to the stationary set, its best to keep it simple and only mildly feminine. Unless you know she loves multiple scrolls, heart shapes, and random birds.
- Journal- You can usually find a decent looking journal that in bound in leather or something that seems like leather.
- Specialty Hand Lotion- I would stick to light, subtle scents.
For A Male Boss:
- Wallet- Plain, sleek leather in black or brown is really easy to find.
- Travel Groom Kit Bag- You can find a decent leather/leather-like bag and then maybe put some of the travel size clear plastic bottles in it for him. That way you don’t have to worry about getting products.
- Thank You Cards- I would check the store to see if they have some that are monogrammed. They tend to be sleek and better suited for men, as opposed to the floral or bird motifs that adorn some other cards. Just look for a set of cards that has the first initial of his last name.
- Journal- Plain front in a leather or leather like binding or a sturdy jacket.
- Cufflinks-Simple gold tone or silver tone.
- Specialty Lotion/Toiletry Item- Only go this route if you see a brand you know he likes. T.J. Maxx/Marshall’s can be a bit overwhelming for some, but if you like the hunt (such as myself) it can be totally worth it.
Non -Traditional Boss Gifts Under $30
For A Male/Female Boss:
- Bottle of wine- This can be red or white, whichever you know they like. If he/she has a brand that is too expensive for your budget, ask a clerk in the store for a recommendation. Or search online for an alternative, cheaper brand and then find it and go buy it.
- Cookbook- Does he/she really like baking pies or cookies? Or maybe they’re more into grilling or are trying to master a specific ethnic group of food? Maybe he/ she has a favorite chef or restaurant. Chances are there’s a cookbook out there that they would love.
- Travel Book- This is a great gift for a boss who is going someone for business or pleasure. There are many nifty guidebooks out there that are creatively packaged and not just the standard Fodor’s Guide. Don’t get the Fodor’s Guide.
- Kitchen Gadgets- These can be varied depending on your boss’s taste and preference. Maybe some kitschy measuring spoons, cheese knives, or bottle opener.
- Food- If you go this route, it has to be “gourmet”. Chocolates are the most commonly gifted gourmet food. Check out Harry & David for some gourmet popcorn or nuts.
Of course, if for some ridiculous reason none of these gifts seems appropriate or doable for you, then just pool some money with your other co-workers and get your boss a gift card to a restaurant or their favorite store. The choice is yours.